Tuesday, September 09, 2003


Put Your Money Where It Matters
Torontonians are today being encouraged to eat all three of their meals "out", to go to a restaurant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I will not participate in this, and in fact am offended by the idea.

Mr. Crabby and I eat out all the time, or have food delivered to us. In fact, we did it twice over the weekend. I have no desire to do it again today, just because "the city needs our help". Toronto already hosted a benefit concert for itself, during which city councillors and politicians sat in catered VIP tents. This city just doesn't get it.

Did you know that 31% of elementary school students and 62% of secondary school students do not eat a nutritious breakfast before heading to school in the morning? For that reason, I am donating what the city is asking me to spend in its restaurants today to the Breakfast for Learning Foundation. If I ran the world, I'd encourage every restaurant to take the proceeds from one table for four today, and do the same.

Charity begins at home; home should not be your charity.