Monday, September 29, 2003

Crabby and the New Guy : Part Two
I met with New Guy as scheduled. He was great. He even smelled great... which is a no-no in my scent-free office. He and I seem to have the same hopes and dreams for our newly-created department. Yay! I felt good. I felt productive. I felt appreciated. Then all hell broke loose.

In summation, I'm going to work tomorrow, which I had booked off to use up some plentiful overtime hours. The Furnace Guy is coming on Tuesday for our annual "sniff and check". However, due to yet another 'we forgot about this so now you have to figure it out' emergency, I have to go to work, at least for a few hours. To complicate things, Mr. Crabby and I are hosting my mother-in-law's birthday dinner tomorrow evening. Mr. Crabby's going to cover Furnace Guy, and possibly the grocery shopping if I get offline in time to make a list.

For my own mother, I can compromise. When needed, I can just start crying. "They make me work so hard, Mommy" and she's butter in my hands. Mother in laws are a different story. I'm still trying to wow 'em. It's only been seven years... Maybe if I leave work by 2:00 p.m., I can pull it off. For a good quick fix, I usually rely on my maple-mustard glazed pork tenderloin and spinach salad with camenbert dressing. Purchased dessert, natch. Do I have birthday candles? Shit.

So, Crabby and the New Guy, and Crabby and the Furnace Guy are in syndication now. It's old news. Stay tuned for Crabby Cooks for Mom #2, and for Pop who Won't Eat Anything.