Thursday, September 18, 2003

I work beside a courthouse, on a lovely wide avenue that is also home to many hospitals and insurance companies. Today, a bomb threat in the courthouse has closed the street, and many of the neighbouring buildings are not letting employees in. Mine, however, is. That's fine with me; I have a pant load of work to do, so I crossed under two POLICE LINE DO NOT CROSS tapes, and am now sitting at my computer, looking out my window into the courthouse window. The court rooms are so close to my desk that I often see lawyers doing tai-chi in the corridors, looking very Darth Vader-esque in their robes.

To clarify, I only crossed under the police tapes to avoid circling around a long block and entering my building through the back door, where all the smokers hang out. As I ducked under the tape, some guy flashed an ID card that looked suspiciously like a Bally's Total Fitness membership, and hollered at people to stay back, to stay safe, this is for your protection, stay back.... Geeze Louise. I cannot abide "wannabes".