Thursday, July 03, 2003


Virtue Through Better Bleaching

For Gemini today: You may be tempted to tell a little white lie today, but if you do you will surely regret it later in the month when the truth comes out and your reputation for honesty goes down the drain. I tell white lies all the time. Wait! Before my loyal readers and friends start reviewing everything I've ever told them, I'll be more specific. I tell lots of white lies to my family (but not to my sister because she's cool). Last night, for example, I said that I can't come visit this weekend because I have to work. The reality is that I will work all week and continue with extra freelance work in the evenings. I would like to have a quiet weekend to myself, particularly since Mr. Crabby is working the midnight shift Friday and Saturday. Mommy Crab, however, would only see a "free weekend" and insist that I come for a sleepover - so I told a white lie. Also, when Mommy Crab forgot about my birthday and didn't phone or send a card, I told her it was OK because I had a migraine and couldn't talk on the phone anyway. I think that evens the score.

When I worked in retail, I used to lie to my employer on a fairly regular basis. He'd expect me to stay 'just a couple of minutes', which meant 20 - 30 minutes without being compensated for it. After 8 hours of on-my-feet-for-minimum-wage, I was often compelled to say "Sorry, I have to babysit" or "My mom is waiting outside" or "I'm going to Church" (which is something I did at the time). I guess those weren't white lies, really. They're just lies.

Do you tell white lies? If you do, is it because you are trying to spare someone's feelings, change behaviour, or to make yourself look better? Are you using a little Javex to remove a stain? I think we all do that. Tell me about some of your lies. Or, just make something up and I'll likely believe you.