Friday, December 03, 2004

Festivus, for the rest of us!

I feel soooooo Christmassy today! It's perfectly cold outside, our tree and lights are up at home, and half my gift shopping is done! The only thing missing for me is a wee bit of snow - just a thin blanket. It would also help if my colleagues were more spirited, but I understand why they aren't. "We have no time to suck," was the motivational speech given to us earlier this week. Oy.

Last year, Mr. Crabby and I "bought goats" for many family members in lieu of Christmas presents. Come on. Buy someone you love a goat. Others got polar bears and tigers. It's ok, they don't bite. Adopt a tiger or a polar bear! This year I'm a total capitalist, not a philanthropist. Everyone on our list this year is getting "stuff," because I enjoy running for the streetcar carrying bags and bags full of happy thoughts. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Parents are the most difficult people to buy for, don't you think? My mother wants a grandchild from me. I gave her a fregging goat last year and that's as close as she's going to get to a living thing from me, along with whatever I scare up at the Bay for her this year. My father wants... I have no idea what my father wants. I saw a bottle of grappa with an airplane in it; being a former pilot, perhaps he'd find that amusing, although he doesn't like grappa.

I'm stumped. What do you buy for your parents during the holidays?