Friday, November 07, 2003

It has taught 80 million of us to count. It is seen in more than 140 countries. It has won 77 Daytime Emmys. It has logged nearly 4,000 episodes in its 35-year history. It is Jim Henson’s legacy. It’s Sesame Street!

This week, Legacy and Sony Wonder have released a three-CD box set called Songs from the Street. To commemorate Sesame Street’s 35 year anniversary, this collection will include such classics as “Sing After Me”, a duet with Grover and the late Madeline Kahn, and “Bein’ Green”, Kermit’s poignant statement on racial and human differences. Now I know what I’m buying at lunch time.

Today’s post has been brought to you by the letter H, and the number 5.

1) Do you have a favourite Sesame Street moment?
I loved Grover’s Near and Far segments.

2) Who is your favourite Muppet?
It’s impossible for me to pick just one, so I will say that my favourites include the Mahna Mahna dude, Lefty (do you want to buy an O), and Snuffaluffagus.

3) Bert and Ernie – gay or straight? Discuss
Gay. So, so gay. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

4) What is your favourite song from Sesame Street?
I have two: the “Mahna Mahna” song, which is now stuck in my head, and “Letter Be”.

5) Where were you when Mr. Hooper died, in 1982?
By that time I was no longer watching Sesame Street, but I do remember hearing that he died. Apparently, the episode in which the grown ups tell Big Bird about Mr. H’s death is one of television’s historic moments.