Saturday, October 25, 2003

One of the biggest regrets of my life is that I discarded years and years of Gourmet and Bon Appetit magazines when we moved into our house three years ago. "Everything's online now," I thought to myself. Everything except a recipe for the most special gingerbread in the whole wide world. I can't find a recipe that comes close. I think the original recipe was in one of those two magazines in the early 1990's, but I can't find it online. There are gazillions of gingerbread recipes, but none of them is right. This one is close. The recipe I'm looking for had dark coffee in it (but the stout would work I guess), an a little black pepper I think. It was a very old, traditional, British-style gingerbread. Can anyone help? Calling all gourmands!

Do you like pomegranates? I bought three for four dollars yesterday at Broadview and Gerrard. It's the deal of the century.

I'm in a fondu mood. What a pant load of work, but they're so fun! We have two oil fondu pots, and one for cheese. My favourite thing to fondu is mushrooms and onion rings. I make a bowl of pancake mix (from scratch, natch, no boxes please), add some garlic and mustard, and dip the mushrooms and/or onions (or even shrimp) into the batter. Plonk! Sizzle Sizzle!

On Day Four of the Sammy Sam Watch, his breathing hadn't really improved and he was re-admitted to the hospital. Poor Schnook. Today is Day Five, and he's still there. "Fix him" I want to shout. "Don't make me come down there."

I rented Anger Management last night; it sucked, except for a funny scene with John C. Reilly, who we love. Tonight I'm watching Bend it Like Beckham, then perhaps Steel Magnolias, which is on TV. The best part of Steel Magnolias is the performances of Olympia Dukakis and Shirley McLaine. I want to be just like them when I grow up. Growing tomatoes, yelling at neighbourhood dogs/children, wearing eccentric clothes, keeping my dearest friends close to me, and being secretly thrilled with my life. And I'm fairly certain I will be, too.

To bring cheer to my sweet friend Ice Queen, who has been very sick, I put some new content up on 2DM.

Now if only I could bring her some gingerbread...