Friday, October 03, 2003

I'm inspired by trivia. I live for trivia. I memorize all things trivial. Because of this, and because I'd rather be in Canada in early October than anywhere else in the world, here's a new take on my Friday Five. Come along - stand on guard with me. I'll check your answers when I come back from a weekend at the cottage, sipping Pinot Noir and eating apple crisp by the fire.
No googling, now...

1) Canada's Grey Cup is 18, 38, or 58 years older than America's Super Bowl?
The Grey Cup is 58 years older than the Super Bowl.

2) What Canadian is a hero and martyr to the people of China?
Known widely as an innovative thoracic surgeon, a vigorous advocate of democratic medical services, and an international humanitarian, Norman Bethune is revered in China as a hero in the successful struggle for the establishment of its first united republic in 5,000 years.

3) What is the world's largest fresh-water island?
Manitoulin Island.

4) Which is larger (and lovlier): the Canadian or the American section of Niagara Falls?
The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is larger. Nanny-nanny boo-boo.

5) What soft drink did Canadian John J. McGlaughlin develop in 1904?
Ginger Ale!

and... a bonus question to make up for the ridiculously easy #4...
6) What creation of Canada's National Research Council was built to move cargo in and out of the Space Shuttle?
Actually called the Shuttle Remote Manipulator System, one of the Canadarm's most impressive engineering achievements is its ability to capture a free-flying payload in a zero gravity environment.