Wednesday, July 30, 2003


Shine On You Ageing Wussie

I know a few people who will be attending today's SARS-a-palooza. They are all over 40 years old. Lucky for them, the list of "allowable" items that concert-goers can bring seems to be tailored to the baby boomer set. I nearly spit my calcium-enriched soy milk through my nose when I read the list this morning. It includes:
- support shoes
- cushions
- dietary supplements
- special medication
- rain ponchos

I've been picturing Woodstock-esque images of lithe wet bodies dancing, arms in the air like they don't care. All wrong. Think instead support canes, sensible shoes, insulin injectors, Geritol.

I also take serious issue with how this event has been promoted. I don't think we should be calling this a "benefit concert". Toronto is not Sarajevo. Shame on us. And did anybody think of this potential PR nightmare: what if somebody gets SARS at this concert? Ha!

Do you know anybody who is going to this thing? You couldn't drag me there for all the tea in China. And I really like tea.