Monday, July 21, 2003


Me and all my "ologists"

I took a vacation day today, thinking that it would be less stressful to cram all my medical necessities into one day, rather than taking brief chunks out of my work life for each appointment. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Never do this. Perhaps it was the rain that raised my once-youthful blood pressure; perhaps it was the random act of crime at Jane and Bloor. Who knows? The good news is that I left my annual check-up in "good health", but with two referrals to other "ologists", and two prescriptions. The bad news is that I got ripped off.

Scenario: Jane and Bloor (nice enough area), 1:45 p.m. Half-blind, no wait - I'm already half-blind.... Three-quarters blind from the ophthalmologist's eye drops, I'm fishing through my wallet for a subway token on the sidewalk outside the station. "Hey," I say to some guy standing nearby. "I've just come from the eye doctor. Is this a token, or a dime?" Well, frost my preserves and upend me on a toothpick, doesn't the guy grab it out of my hand and run away? I guess it was a token. Nominations for Stewpidist Stewpid Head of the Year are pouring in, particularly since leaving my keys in the front door lock two nights in a row. Whatever will we do with me?

Icy's right: dim sum was fun, but I got so stressed out about the vermin crawling around Sister's purse that I barely enjoyed my uncharateristic but rampant consumerism. New purse, new jewellery, new placemats... sheer exhaustion. And again, the rain. Why do we bother with hair-straightening product on rainy days? Why do I insist on wearing open-toed sandals in Manky Town? Why, I ask? Why?