Friday, January 16, 2004

Look over there (where?). There goes my Crabby with her scanner again.

This evening I sorted through some photos, which are scattered in drawers, jewellery boxes, albums, and storage bins throughout the house. I'm very disorganized about this type of thing, but at least some good came of it. See my new Family Album, on the left. No apologies to those of you who are sick of cat pictures on the 'innernet'. Leave now.

There is one picture of me that is about three years old. It's the most recent picture I have of myself. Unfortunately, in the photo my face is covered with clarifying mud. If I ever go missing or get murdered, that's the most recent photo that the police are going to get. That's how I will be remembered to the world - with guck on my face. "Have you seen this woman?" Egads. At least the two dearhearts beside me in the photo look just as fetching!

I guess at least in this house, I am usually the one behind the camera. Perhaps other family members have more up-to-date shots of me, but I probably don't want to see them! Does everybody hate the way they look in photos?

I always enjoy looking at photos. Mr. Crabby whips through a stack in seconds, but I prefer to linger. Having said that, I detest being held hostage by someone who has to explain the subtelties of each and every one of their seventy five vacation photos to me. I get it, you went on an Alaskan cruise, there's a ship, some ocean, ice, tiny stateroom, got it. I will look at each photo, and I will enjoy doing so, but without the monotone narration please.

I need to organize this mess. Family and personal photos are very important to me. One day, they'll be even more important. What's the status of photography in your family? Do you place a high value on pictoral record-keeping?