Friday, October 10, 2003


Be Thankful - It's the Friday Five!


1) What is your most favourite appetizer of all time? Feel free to submit recipes...
My favourite appetizer of all time has a very loyal fan base, but it has no name. I call them Chummies. Take a can (or four) of whole waterchestnuts, and soak them in a jar or three of VH or President's Choice dry garlic rib sauce, at least overnight. Two days is better. Drain, and wrap each waterchestnut in one third of a slice of bacon. Secure with toothpick. Open kitchen windows. Bake at 400 for about 20 minutes - watch carefully, though, they go from almost done to incendiary in seconds.

2) Thanksgiving Turkey - is it finally outré, or do you insist on serving it?
Turkey bores me. My sister and I prefer to do glazed hams, bone-in when we host Thanksgiving. This year I've asked my mom to do a leg of lamb, or a poached salmon. The only good thing about turkey is getting the bones afterwards and making soup.

3) How will you be spending Thanksgiving this year?
I'm going to my parents' home down in wine country, along with my two other siblings, their spouses, and their children. Mr. Crabby has to work all weekend, but I'll bring him home a pile of special treats in a care package.

4) For what are you most thankful?
This year I am thankful for employment, for health, for Mr. Crabby, and for the gifts of good friends and neighbours.

5) If you win tonight's 30 million dollar draw, will your weekend plans change?
Well d'uh. Mr. Crabby won't be working, that's for sure. We'll still enjoy Thanksgiving, but the wine selection might get bumped up a notch.

And for some Friday Fun, What's Your Japanese Name? Just call me Maki.